Cresco Labs' employees volunteered over 5,000 service hours during a seven-month period in 2020 as part of Cresco’s “Make a Difference” initiative.
Established in June, 2020 as a public statement in response to the tragic killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and many other Black Americans, the team members at Cresco Labs committed to contributing 5,000 hours of service in furtherance of bettering the communities where they live around the country. The team was intent on demonstrating their support and involvement in one of the largest social justice movements in modern history through action. Team members across all parts of the organization committed to volunteer services in 28 cities across eight states, participating in more than 75 volunteer activities that supported over 50 community-based organizations.
“As stewards of the cannabis industry and good corporate citizens of this country, we have an obligation to use our considerable platform to promote progress and support the communities where we work and live. This is fundamental to our vision of being the most important company in the industry and the responsibilities that such a vision requires,” said Charlie Bachtell, CEO and Co-Founder of Cresco Labs. “2020 tested our resilience as a nation and shaped our humanity and culture in such a profound way. Although the global pandemic brought some challenges to volunteering, our team members persevered because corporate social responsibility, volunteerism, community support, and social justice and social equity activism are all built into the fabric of who we are as a company. It is truly incredible that our team members achieved over 5,000 hours of community service in just seven months, and I’m so proud of them for their efforts.”
Tai Duncan, Cresco’s Vice President of Community Integration, added, “We are so proud to have such passionate and hard-working staff who contributed their time, expertise and funds to this initiative. They truly did make a difference, building meaningful relationships along the way. Cresco Labs is committed to continuing this effort in 2021 and beyond.”
2020 Volunteerism Highlights:
- Cresco Labs employees volunteered in 28 cities throughout California, Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New York.
- Supported more than 50 local organizations and assisted thousands of people and hundreds of neighborhoods with their specific needs.
- Collaborated with a diverse group of institutions focused on veterans, social justice, food insecurity, COVID-19 relief, mental health, environmental conservation, homelessness and low-income families, and individuals with disabilities.
- Packaged and distributed nearly 10,000 pounds of food and produce.
- Picked up more than 100,000 pounds of trash at parks, canals, forest preserves and beaches.
- Wrote and mailed hundreds of letters to individuals incarcerated for cannabis-related offenses, elderly people and those in need of emotional support.
- Collected and purchased hundreds of clothing and personal care items for families and individuals in need.
- Donated toys, decorations and supplies to bring joy during the holiday season.
Cresco’s corporate social responsibility strategies are designed with a commitment to serving and collaborating with the communities in which it operates in ways that align with the Company’s overarching goals and core values.