Over the last few weeks, the Cambridge Fire Department (CFD) has responded to at least three fires that officials say were caused by cannabis grow operations.
"It's not the fault of the person there, but more the lack of knowledge and electrical issues that have arisen from that," said Eric Yates, chief fire prevention officer for CFD.
Things such as lights, fans, and other accessories need to be plugged directly into the wall as opposed to a power bar. This overloading of an extension cable or power bar is causing them to overheat, melt and start fires.
Even the timers growers use to turn their lights on and off the need to be rated to hold enough power to operate safely and prevent fires in the home.
To read the complete article, go to kitchener.citynews.ca