The California Cannabis industry is going through it. Since 2021, the wholesale price for cannabis is down over 50%, the state has seen a significant drop in active growers, and legal establishments are still fending off competition from illegal sellers. On top of all of that, the winter weather has been unusually harsh, walloping farms in Northern California. The industry’s problems raise a lot of questions: are regulations too unwieldy? Taxes too high? Is there an oversupply of marijuana, or simply not enough stores to sell it in? Today on AirTalk, we tackle the state of the California cannabis industry with Tony Lange, associate editor at the Cannabis Business Times, Rasha Salama, Acting Director of the California Department of Cannabis Control, Virgil Grant, owner of California Cannabis, and Kyle Kazan, co-founder, chairman and CEO of Glass House Brands which has cultivation, manufacturing, brands and retail operations in California.
Top 5 - yesterday
- VerifyMe appoints new CEO
- New geothermal well contributes to the energy transition for Dutch greenhouses
- How a mysterious protein plays a crucial role in plant growth
- New heat-reflecting screen to be presented at GreenTech 2023
- Craft cannabis on a large scale: “A level of attention and care you don’t usually see”
Top 5 - last week
- US (MI): Regulators propose to strip licenses from cannabis companies that don’t pay vendors
- US (CA): “Our goal is not to be the biggest cultivator, but to be the best empowerer of brands”
- "This is the first time we are involved in cannabis cultivation research"
- US: Cutting utility costs by 50% while co-generating electricity and hot water
- Colorado’s cannabis industry has fallen on hard times. What does the future hold?
Top 5 - last month
- Cultivating organic cannabis with living soil
- Moving away from 12:12: The effect of different photoperiods on medicinal cannabis
- Why white tips differ from photobleaching
- Denmark: “Many cannabis growers are not aware of the real benefit of having the right genetics”
- “Acquiring exclusive genetics is a huge plus for producers trying to differentiate themselves”
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-06-01 New York cannabis board votes to settle license-blocking suit
- 2023-06-01 US (MO): Where does the revenue from cannabis sales and license fees go?
- 2023-05-31 CAN: Delta cannabis grower responds to proposed rule changes
- 2023-05-31 US (MI): More cannabis companies expected to come under receivership control
- 2023-05-31 US (NY): MMJ sellers suffer as adult-use market grows
- 2023-05-29 US (CA): Officials award more than $50M In cannabis tax-funded community reinvestment grants
- 2023-05-26 US: Cannabis companies fight over whether to ban or regulate intoxicating products like delta-8-THC
- 2023-05-26 US (CA): Just out of prison, Beverly Hills con artist launches $9-million cannabis scam
- 2023-05-26 US (NY): Thousands of pounds of cannabis available, but not enough stores to sell it
- 2023-05-26 Thai cannabis sector spooked as election winner mulls reversing legalization
- 2023-05-26 Iceland: Proposed pilot project could permit use of medical cannabis
- 2023-05-26 US (MO): As cannabis costs skyrocket, St. Louis retailers resist raising prices
- 2023-05-26 CAN (AB): Cannabis company 'building roots in Powell River'
- 2023-05-25 Cresco Labs' merger with Columbia Care poses challenges
- 2023-05-23 Cannabis tax boom: States collect $15.1 billion in revenue since cannabis legalization
- 2023-05-22 Colorado’s cannabis industry has fallen on hard times. What does the future hold?
- 2023-05-22 CAN: Travel not being booked for SAWP Mexico workers
- 2023-05-19 Trade mission explores Indian horticulture
- 2023-05-18 US (CA): More than 60 migrant families found living in dilapidated greenhouse
- 2023-05-16 US: States that legalize cannabis see reduced tobacco use, study finds